I don’t want to grow up. All these kids around me are so excited to move out and grow up, but I kind of like how things are going right now. I am really excited to go to college and get out of high school, but I’m not excited to be an adult.
I can’t wait to meet new people and grow as a person and find myself. However, that is easier said than done. I don’t think people my age realize how easy they have it. Why would I want my parents to stop helping me and paying for things right now when I’m only 18? I don’t know anything about being on my own. Sure, I know how to cook and clean and do well in school, but that doesn’t mean much and won’t get me very far. I’m at the age where growing older doesn’t just mean more privileges, it means more responsibility.
I’m scared to throw myself into the career world. I am very blessed to be an 18 year old and know what I want to do for the rest of my life. I’m going to Mankato and I am going to go for secondary social studies education. My dream is to teach social studies in a high school and have my own classroom. However, it is a competitive job market right now and I don’t even know if I’ll be able to find a job. There is no huge need for social studies teachers at all. My dream might not be realistic and that is devastating and really scary. I may go to school and do well and then not be able to land a job. I may be that person living with their parents at age thirty or something. That would be terrible!
Growing up is scary; it’s not all fun and games. Success isn’t guaranteed.
No comments:
Post a Comment