Monday, November 19, 2012

Blog 4: First Memory of Reading


My earliest memory of reading is when I was in kindergarten. It may have not even been reading, there was probably a little more memorizing involved.
My dad used to read me this one book multiple times a day. It was a Sesame Street book with the character Grover. It was called “Monster at the End of the Book”. It was about the Sesame Street character Grover doing anything he could to make you not turn the page. He would set up barriers and obstacles like brick walls so I thought I couldn’t turn the page. Obviously, I could turn the page but I thought it was so cool. After I would turn the page and break through one of his obstacles I would get so excited and the page would have Grover smiling. And of course there was no real monster at the end of the book, there was just Grover.
My dad read this book to me so many times over and over again that had it on lock down. I memorized that story. It was my favorite. In kindergarten, we were having “show and tell” and I wanted to show off my book. However, I also wanted to show off my “skills” and read it to the class and my teacher.
So when it was my turn I sat in the teacher’s big rocking chair and read and showed the book to everyone. I freaking blew their minds. They were so impressed; I thought I was so cool. I will never forget that day of kindergarten.

No comments:

Post a Comment