Holy crap, tomorrow I am 18 years old. Where did the time go? It seriously flew by! I feel like I have been waiting for this for forever and now it’s finally here, and it’s not even that big of a deal. I mean 18, “Woooooo”. Now what?
Sure being 18 gives you privileges. You can get piercings, tattoos, get into places, and buy certain things, but is that really a huge deal? Not really. I’m now at the age where receiving more privileges means, more responsibility. Responsibility I don’t want. I don’t want to have to handle all my appointments and information and do everything on my own yet! I am still in high school and still live at home; I am not an adult. I’m not living in the “real world” and if I did I would be ill prepared. I don’t thing becoming 18 makes you an adult, it makes you 18.
I’m excited to go to college and live on my own but even then, am I really on my own? I’ll still come back home on holidays and in the summer; it’s not really moving out. It’s just temporary relocation. My parents will still be paying my bills because I won’t be able to afford them. I am still dependent on them and am not yet completely responsible for every aspect of my life. Therefore, I would not say I am an adult.
Nothing is really going to change for me. I’m not going to go get a tattoo of a dragon on my face. I’ll still be going to high school every day and working my minimum wage job. I’ll still have a curfew and my parents will still be the bosses. I live under their roof so they’ll still tell me what to do. I won’t magically have everything figured out either, I’ll still need help. I used to think when I turned 18 it meant I’m an adult and I would just automatically have my whole life figured out and my future planned and be able to fulfill it easily. But, I was sadly mistaken. I’m no farther or better off than last year. Tomorrow I will turn 18 and then I will be well, 18.
No comments:
Post a Comment